Thursday, March 19, 2009

3 Weeks Old on St. Patrick's Day



Volunteers made these super cute cards for all the babies in the NICU in celebration of St. Patrick's Day on Tuesday. Tyler also turned 3 weeks old (35 weeks old gestationally) on Tuesday. It flies by so fast!
Tyler continues to do well feeding and gaining weight and is getting closer to 5 lb. He gets his appetite from my side of the family! Tyler did have a little breathing/heart rate episode yesterday, which means he will definitely be in the NICU at least another 5 days (until March 23). He just needs to keep developing.
On Tuesday Tyler got circumcised and although I sat with him during the procedure I couldn't watch. The one thing that did make me chuckle was the name of the restraint system used to keep him from squirming: The Olympic Circumstraint. Tyler handled the procedure pretty well after they gave him the local anesthesia and dipped his pacifier in sugar water. I opted not to keep the foreskin for his baby book. Apparently some people actually keep it!

3 comments:

  1. I didn't want to be there for either boys' circumcisions...but Eric was there. I'm very impressed that you made through it without fainting Renee! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael was at work and I couldn't let him go by himself. The sacrifices of motherhood...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hy,

    I came here by googling for circumstraint.
    Could you help me and tell me what were your reasons to get your boy operated and if you (and I guess the father had also been operated on) and the father are still happy with the results and how you handled the problems with an open wound in the diaper?

    Like gauze and such things?

    ReplyDelete