Saturday, March 8, 2014

I Pottying

Daphne has been very excited about the potty for several weeks now. I think this stems from the fact that all the kids in her new class at school try to use the potty throughout the day when they get their diapers changed. Here is how it usually goes down:
  • Me: I need to change your diaper.
  • Daphne: I want to potty.
  • Daphne carries Tyler's little stool over to the potty.
  • She often wants to take off her own pants (she protests with a scream if you try to help her) and I take off her diaper.
  • Daphne puts the Lightning McQueen potty seat on the normal potty seat.
  • Daphne climbs on the stool and sits on the potty. She often needs to lean on me to do this but heaven forbid if I try to help her out.
  • Daphne, grinning ear to ear: I did it! I pottying!
  • Me: Do you need to pee or poop?
  • Daphne: I pottying!
  • Me: Great job sitting on the potty! Maybe some time you can pee or poop while you are sitting there.
  • Daphne gets some toilet paper and wipes.
  • Daphne gets down from the potty, takes off the potty seat, closes the lid, and flushes.
  • I put on her diaper and Daphne usually puts her pants back on.
  • Me: We always wash our hands after using the potty.
  • Daphne carries Tyler's small stool back over to Tyler's sink and insists on using his stool even though she can actually reach her sink using her big stool.
  • I wash my hands and then hold Daphne up to the sink while she washes and dries her hands. So much for the stool!
I am excited that Daphne wants to use the potty and know this will pay off in the long run, but it is so much work to go through all of this every single diaper change, especially in the morning before school or other times when we are in a hurry to get out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment