Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Kiss Me I'm Wearing Green!

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I'm definitely not Irish, but what am I? Have you seen the 2010 Census yet? Mommy & Daddy aren't sure what to fill out for race for Daddy and me. I know I have Hispanic origins- that part is easy since Daddy's Mommy was born in Mexico and Daddy's paternal grandparents were also born in Mexico. According to the Census website they ask the Hispanic origin question to help figure out where bilingual programs are needed. Wouldn't it just be easier to ask people what their primary and secondary languages spoken are? I am fluent in Tyler babble, but will doubtfully be fluent in Spanish since Mommy and Daddy aren't fluent in Spanish. They will probably put down white for my race but what is white anyway? Mommy's ancestry is unclear but is probably mostly French and German. Daddy's ancestry is mostly Spanish with a little native Mexican thrown in. Aren't native Mexicans similar to native Americans? One website Daddy found listed some fun options to list under "Other Race", and our favorites include human, Vulcan, and Texan!

1 comment:

  1. I consider myself of mixed racial background, white (mostly French & Spanish) & native American (Mexico is part of the Americas). I'm not sure of the tribe, but a Hurtado did marry into Moctezuma's (Montezuma)family line. I haven't verified any relation to us yet.

    ReplyDelete